I AM A WOMAN

WOMAN! Coax the flames, crave the burn, the world needs your light
With every "that's not ladylike " my voice drops a little lower until it becomes a mosquito tone.
With every "you hit like a girl " my fists collapse at my sides as open palms, begging approval.
With every "why don't u smile " my mouth strings itself up into a logo advertising my own vulnerability.

How dare you wear that?
Say that?
Eat that?
Send that?
Here is a pretty pink mold that's all yours to fill - your very own, just like everyone else's.
Be a leader - but don't be bossy!
Love your body - but never show it!
Impress everyone - but not for the attention!
Swallow every "darling, dear and honey"
Digest every belittling "sweetheart, missy and pumpkin"
Congratulations! You're now a woman. Soft, weak and empty. Don't worry, being who you are isn't "ladylike".

Guess what, enough is enough
Now l know who l am
I am a WOMAN
Let me repeat myself
You obviously weren't listening
I am a strong independent woman
Regardless of the words you are telling me that "the sky is the limit"
When l know l can reach for the stars
But your actions are holding me back like gravity
A force meant to be defied
And l will defy your disrespect, mistreatment and misunderstanding

I am strong because lm not afraid to break a nail
To get down and dirty
In fact, l will claw, punch and kick my way through your barriers to lead to the top of it all
To my destiny
I will break the chain's of social injustice that restrict me from reaching my dreams and aspirations
I will break free from the cage of your gender stereotypes
I may be a woman, a female but you will no longer define me

I am a strong independent woman
I am independent because l defy these old disney princess fantasies
You see, l will stop my wicked witch, slay my Dragon and still have time to run my kingdom
I don't need Prince charming to save me
And l won't be defined by my shoe size

I am independent because l can think for myself
I don't need Cosmo, 17 nor vogue to tell me how to dress
I don't need the media to tell me how to lok
I don't live in a dream house
I don't come with accessories
I will never be Barbie
She's perfect plastic and fake fantasies
While lm the real deal

I am more than what you see
I am more than my face
I am strong because l can bleed for 5 days 4 nights and only get so much as a cramp
I can endure the pain of my body being ripped open just to give birth
And underneath all the screams and blood splatter is a woman turned into a mother

I am more than a body
I am a temple that deserves respect
I am brought by Adam
But made Her story by Eve
And none shall enter my garden
I am not a tool for pleasure
I am not your servant
Don't call me babe or baby
Do not undermine me
For l am power beyond belief

I am a strong independent woman
I am strong because l am connected to my inner being, my spiritual surroundings and with life all around
Yes, l May live in my emotions sometimes and you may scrutinise my expression
But l can walk with my head held high and a smile on my face

I have a voice
I have a mind
I have a soul
None of which you can control
I will strike you down with my very last breath
Never hesitating to be one the woman I'm meant to be
I am strong and independent
I am a woman

Happy Women's Day to all the beautiful women out there !
You are loved!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts